Here are a few tips to lengthen the life of your lawn mower:
1. Disconnect the spark plug before working on the mower.
2. Empty the fuel tank and keep it empty until you are ready to use it next spring. Run the mower until the tank is empty. If it has an oil tank empty that too.
3. Clean leftover materials out of the mower and scrub it with a soft brush and hot, soapy water to remove grease.
4. While wearing gloves use steel wool to remove any rust.
5. Remove the blade and have it sharpened.
6. Clean or replace the air filter.