SCHS Newsletter Oct 7, 2018
Dear BOBCAT Nation,
We will be administering the Preliminary SAT (PSAT) to 540 students this Wednesday, October 10, as well as providing college and career readiness activities to non-test takers. Please review the following information to ensure we provide students the best testing environment and to ensure students not taking the PSAT know where to go and when to arrive to campus.
Students Taking PSAT
(Some 9th Graders, All 10th Graders, and Some 11th Graders)
- Report to Designated Testing Room by 7:30 a.m. Sharp
- Must Have an ID to Take Test
- Bring a Snack, Water, Pencil, and Calculator
Testing Sequence: Reading (60 Minutes), Writing & Language (35 Minutes), Math- No Calculator (25 Minutes), & Math With Calculator (45 Minutes).
Students Not Taking PSAT
- Report to School at 8:30 a.m.
- 9th Grade Students Need to Bring Chromebooks
- 11th Grade Students Report to Designated Classrooms
- 12th Grade Students Report to Athletic Field for Senior Class Panoramic Picture
See detailed summary of activities and room assignments below.
J. César Morales
Principal, Sage Creek High School
|Wednesday, Oct 10 Activities & Rooms
|Career Chat on Trades Businesses: Oct 18
|Students: Be sure to RSVP for the Lunchtime Career Chat on Trades Businesses!
RSVP & details at: sagecreekhs.carlsbadusd.net/PTSA
- Thursday, October 18 at 11:25 AM in the Counseling Center.
- Free lunch and drinks!
- RSVP required to attend this career event. Limited to 40 students.
|Plan Senior Portrait Appointment Soon
|FAQs about Senior Portraits
Must I use the school selected photographer for my Senior Pictures?
- All seniors must use Studio 94 to be in the yearbook senior section.
- We DO NOT use photos submitted from other photographers in that section.
- Other than that, the photographer choice is up to you.
When are they due?
- All senior photos must be taken and selected by December 7th.
How do I get a picture in the yearbook for free?
- Any senior student who would like to take a FREE picture only for the yearbook will take this picture at Sage on November 28th.
- Students who choose the free option will not get to select their picture for the yearbook.
How do I make an appointment for photo packages?
|Parents Needed to be a Professional in the Room for Genius Project: 10/15-11/7
|All parents (and staff) are invited to join in volunteering in our classrooms regardless of your student's current grade level.
Professional in the room volunteers introduce themselves at the beginning of class and their areas of knowledge (tech, science, writing, business, family, etc.) Then, they are seated on a panel in the back of the room where students may approach to get ideas, advice, guidance, or encouragement.
Click here to volunteer on any of the following days:
Mon, Oct 15 (Senior Day)
Fri, Nov 2 (Senior Day)
Fri, Nov 2 (Junior Day)
Wed, Nov 7 (AP Lit Day)
|PTSA Member Perks Coming in October!
If you already purchased your PTSA Membership, your membership packets & perks will be delivered to your student in their Advisory Class in October!
►► Students, Parents, & Teachers can still sign-up for PTSA membership at sagecreekhs.carlsbadusd.net/membership
Thank you for your support of PTSA.
|College & Career Fair - 10/17
|Carlsbad Unified School District's
College & Career Fair
Wed, Oct 17
Carlsbad High School Gym
Over 55 colleges & career pathways. Click here for flyer.
|Parent Suicide Prevention Workshop 10/20
The Hero in Each of Us: Finding Your Role in Suicide Prevention
Saturday, October 20, 2018 | 9am-3pm
Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego, Education Office Building (EOB)
7960 Birmingham Drive, San Diego, CA 92123
For more infor about this FREE workshop & to register, please visit: www.ninthdistrictpta.org/suicide-prevention
Coffee, Water, and Boxed Lunch will be provided.
The goal of the 2018 Suicide Prevention Symposium is to provide a county-wide forum for parents/guardians to learn, engage, and plan together to address the problem of youth suicide, specifically focused on young people between the ages of 10-19.
|College Visits in Counseling Center - Oct
|11th & 12th Grade Students should register on their Naviance.com account to attend any of the College Visits:
10/8 UC San DIego
10/9 Westmont College
10/11 Hofstra Univ
10/12 Concordia University - Irvine
10/15 Univ of Penn
10/16 Colorado State Univ - Fort Collins
10/17 Texas Christin Univ
10/18 Univ Colorado
10/19 Parsons The NEw School
10/19 The American Univ of Paris
10/22 Boston Univ
10/24 Univ of Relands
10/25 Penn State
10/29 Miami Univ - Oxford
10/30 Univ of Saint Katherine
10/31 Johnson & Wales Univ
Click here do view list of all visits that will take place during lunch in the Counseling Center.
|Financial Aid Workshop - 10/25
|The Sage Creek HS & Carlsbad Counseling Departments and MiraCosta College present:
Financial Aid Night
Thursday, Oct 25
Sage Creek HS Performing Arts Center
FAFSA, Financial Aid deadlines, Dream Act Info, & more FAQs
|Military Service Visits to SCHS: Oct-Nov
|Branches of the US Military will be visiting SCHS during lunch on the Academic Mall (click here for details):
Thurs, Oct 11: U.S. Army
Thurs, Nov 1: U.S.. Marine Corps
Fri, Nov 2: U.S. Navy
|Reflections Art Contest: Now - Oct 25
Bobcats - Tap into your creative side and enter the Sage Creek PTSA Reflections Art Contest! All Sage Creek students are invited to participate —it’s as easy as 1-2-3!
(1) Reflect - Reflect on this year's Reflections Program theme: Heroes Around Me
(2) Create - Select an arts category and create an original work based on this year's theme.
(3) Enter - Submit original work and your entry form downloaded from sagecreekhs.carlsbadusd.net/reflections to SCHS office by Friday, October 25th @ 3:00 PM
All participants will be recognized by the Sage Creek PTSA, and the top awarded entries will represent SCHS PTSA at the Council and District levels, with the opportunity to advance to the California State and National PTA levels.
More info & entry forms at: sagecreekhs.carlsbadusd.net/reflections
|Help w/ 2018 Bond Measure HH & Long Range Facilities Plan for CUSD Schools
|Our PTA has formally endorsed Measure HH, which is the Bond measure on Nov 6th's Ballot that hopes to generate funds for critical repairs and modernizing updates of Carlsbad Unified's Schools.
Friends of Carlsbad Schools 2018 is a grassroots campaign working to pass Measure HH on November 6th and they need your help with the following:
- Walk your neighborhood asking neighbors to Vote Yes on HH!
- Saturday, Oct 6 at 10am - Meet at Calavera Hills Community Park: Register Here
- Targeted schools to attend this event: CHE, CHMS, Hope, Magnolia, BV, Valley, Kelly, SCHS
- Saturday, Oct 13 at 10am - Meet at Poinsettia Park Soccer Field: Register Here
- Targeted schools to attend this event: CHS, AOE, AOMS, Pac Rim, Poinsettia
- Send a friend-to-friend email - I will send an email!
- Display a yard sign - Display a Sign
- Join our list of public supporters! I support Measure HH!
|Unique Bell Schedules in October
|BOBCAT Families, please mark your calendars for the following days in October that have alternate bell schedules (view here):
10/10/18 PSAT Exam & Special Schedule for Students Not Taking PSAT
10/17/18 Late Start Wednesday
10/24/18 Late Start Wednesday with 55 Minute Assembly
10/31/18: 7:30 Start with Advisory
|Science Olympiad Registration Open
|Spots are still open for Science Olympiad events!
Register now to ignite the passion for STEM in your student, here’s how:
Step 1: Complete registration at CEF Academy.
Step 2: Contact your school's Olympiad Liaison to choose the events in which you would like to participate.
If you have any other questions, please contact Karen Lopez at email@example.com. Thank you!
|Stay Connected @ SCBobcats
|Stay up to date with current and upcoming campus activities by joining @SCBobcats on
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook