But Jesus immediately said to them: Take courage, it is I. Don't be afraid.
From yesterday's scripture, Matthew 14:27
• Iglesia de Restauracion Pacto Eterno, 7-9 pm
• Brethren Voices, 11am, more details
• Shepherd's Spring's Sprint to the Spring
• Community Worship at Bethel UCC, more details
• Brethren Voices, 6:30pm, more details
• SCN's Annual Conference, thru 8/22 at Bridgewater COB
Mon., 8/21 - Meeting with Bethel UCC, 7 pm in library
Wed., 8/23 - Bittersweet Gospel Band, 7 pm at Hagerstown COB
Thurs., 8/24 - Breakfast Bunch, 8 am
Sat., 8/26 - Picnic in the Park, 4 pm hosted by Frederick COB
Sun., 8/27 - Community Worship + Picnic at Lubber Run, more details
Sun., 8/27 - Golf Tournament, 1 pm hosted by Frederick COB
Fri., 9/1 - Family Camp 2017, thru 9/3 at Camp Mardela
Sat., 9/2 - Volunteer at AFAC, 8:30 am
Mon., 9/4 - NOAC, thur 9/8 at Lake Junaluska
Sat., 9/9 - Shredding 4 Hunger
Sun., 9/10 - Sunday School Classes Resume, 10 am
Sun., 9/10 - Worship at 11 am
Sun., 9/10 - Assembling School Kits, after worship
Sat., 9/16 - Children's Weaving for Peace Day, 10 am
Sun., 9/17 - Annual Dunker Church Service, 3 pm at Antietam Battlefield
Thurs., 9/21 - International Day of Prayer for Peace
Fri., 10/13 - MAD District Conference, thru 10/14 at Frederick COB
August Community Worship| “God Makes a Way Out of No Way”
Each Sunday in August we will meet with our community worship partners, taking turns at each of our churches. At the end of the month, we’ll worship together at Lubber Run Park amphitheater followed by a picnic at the pavilion there. Everyone is welcome; invite a friend! See below for topics, times and locations.
This week! August 20, 10 am @ Bethel UCC
Pastor Anne preaching on Matthew 15:21-28
4347 Arlington Blvd. (b/w N George Mason + Trenton St.)
August 27, 10 am @ Lubber Run Park
“Midwives + Moses”
Several reflections on Exodus 1:8-2:10
200 N Columbus Street (at 2nd St. N.)
ACOB's Library | New Books!
Check out the latest books added to our collection on our online Library Thing account and then check out the ones that interest you from our library. The online listing includes Google reviews to learn more about the books in the next to the last column. Contact Cindy with any questions.
Big Bulletin | July, 2017 Edition
Find the latest edition of the newsletter online here or request a paper copy from the office.
More Details | arlingtoncob.org/calendar
For more information on neighboring church, denomination and non-profit events listed, check the calendar at the above link or contact the office.
Volunteer + Give.
Church World Service School Kits | Collecting through Sun., Sept. 10
It's time again to collect the basic tools for learning for children around the world in impoverished schools, refugee camps and other difficult settings. Please donate an entire kit including all brand new items. No pencils are needed this year as we have enough from last year. Lisa will buy kits for folks preferring to make cash donations. For the Sundays we are worshiping at other churches, Lisa can collect donations each week except at Lubber Run. Contact Lisa with questions.
Volunteer Point Person Needed | September Shredding 4 Hunger Event
Every year we partner with Ann Wilson Reality to provide a document shredding truck service in exchange for non-perishable food donations for AFAC. This is always a very successful service project for Hunger Action Month in September. Much of the details have been confirmed, but because of a conflict with the NOAC conference, a point person is needed. The event will be September 9. Contact the office if you can volunteer.
Children’s Weaving for Peace Day | Sat., Sept. 16, 10 am-12 pm
To celebrate this year's Peace Day, our Service Ministry Team invites children to join in making woven potholders and book marks to symbolize the 2017 Peace Day theme of "Peace and Justice Together." We will then offer the creations to our congregation in return for a donation to Children's Disaster Services or a new Montessori Preschool in Nigeria, so the children's projects can in turn help other children. Contact Marcia with questions.
Volunteer in the Community | VA Hospital Center + AFAC
VA Hospital Center is circulating information about free pap smear and cervical cancer screenings on the morning of September 9. Contact the office if you'd like to help spread the flyer around our community.
- ● One pair of blunt round-tip scissors
- ● Three 70-count bound, spiral, wide-lined notebooks
- ● One 30-centimeter, 12 inch ruler
- ● One hand-held pencil sharpener
- ● One large eraser (no pencil cap erasers)
- ● One box of 24 Crayola brand crayons
AFAC is seeking friendly, experienced volunteers who understand their mission and want to share it at their booth at this year's Arlington County Fair, August 18-20. Sign up on their online calendar.
Dunker Punks Podcast | http://bit.ly/DPP_Episode37
In the most recent podcast, Laura continues her series on Arlington non-profits by talking with Charlie Meng, the executive director of AFAC. You are guaranteed to learn something you didn't know about one of our favorite and most essential local nonprofits in this informative interview. Laura grew up serving others with ACOB in one the richest places in the world where the poor are too easily unseen. Jesus also had a special concern for those left out, and as his followers, we are called to the margins, to recognize the divine beauty of each one's existence, and to meet their needs. Type in the case sensitive url to listen on the showpage or subscribe on iTunes. Listen by clicking the above link or subscribing on iTunes.
Worship Audio | Online
Listen again to this week's sermon, catch a sermon from a Sunday you were out or peruse the archives. Each Sunday message along with a selection of hymns and readings is posted online or subscribe on iTunes.
Brethren Voices | Song and Story Fest
Brethren Voices is the TV show featuring what Brethren do as a matter of our faith. The episode for August features musicians from Song and Story Fest. Watch online now! Watch in Arlington on Comcast 69/Verizon-FIOS 38 on Sundays at 6:30 pm, Wednesdays at 11 am.
#BlessedBreak | New devotion! http://bit.ly/BlessedBreak61
This week’s #BlessedBreak is Friends with the Weather performing Brave Man from Ohio, a song written by Andy Murray about Ted Studebaker, a Brethren peace worker killed in Vietnam.
Pray. Call. Write.
- Yoder Family, transitioning at work ahead of overseas transfer next summer and mourning a close colleague and friend killed in a car accident
- Charlotte, Nancy's mom, in rehab after hospitalization
- Tom, Bill's brother, being succesfully treated for an infection originally diagnosed to be antibiotic resistant
- Karolina, at home but continuing health treatments
- James + Melody, expecting a baby in mid-November!
- Marie, Marcia's friend, recently discovered resurgance of cancer and meeting with a doctor this week about radiation treatments
- D. Senko Family, following her sudden death, family friends of Chris
- Families of 2 men kille din CSX accident, both family friends from Shelley's hometown
- Barbara's family, Ralph's sister-in-law, following her death
- Joe, Chris' friend, facing resurgence of lymphoma after several year's remission
- Maxine, Hazel's sister, broke two ribs and fractured a lung from a fall and is also struggling with Alzheimer's
- Sarah + Kathy, special prayer requests from Cindy's friend, Dennis
- Noel, son of Marcia's friend Sandy, still working with doctors to figure out mysterious and serious dizzy spell
- Pastor Mike, continuing rehab after organ transplant
- Church of the Brethren in Nigeria (EYN), including 113 girls still captive
Keep in your ongoing prayers: Minnie Simmons, Dorothy Fravel (Dee’s mom), Theresa McCary, Erin Julca, Steve Shuss, Elizabeth Smucker, Carolyn Studds
Note: Prayer concerns will ordinarily be listed for four weeks. If you would like one to be kept on or added back in, please let the office know. Names in bold are new to the list or updated this week.
Since we're worshipping with our community partners this month, there's no new sermon audio this week. If you'd like to catch up on last week's sermon from Pastor Nancy, you can do that here: http://bit.ly/ACOBMessage6Aug17