So you swam (the swim course was described in the previous newsletter), now you get on that crazy two-wheeled contraption of yours and you ride around a bit. Below are the detailed descriptions of both bike courses.
Olympic Bike Course: 40k (24.8 mi), 4 Laps
Sprint Bike Course: 12.4 mi, 2 Laps
All of you Olympic Course athletes will complete 4 out-and-back loops along water's edge to Asilomar Blvd. At Asilomar Blvd., you will be turned around and head back on the same road in the opposite lane (thus the out-and-back). All of you Sprint Course athletes will complete the same loops, just fewer of them - 2 Laps total. The average lap time will be about 20–25 minutes. An Aid station with PowerBar Beverage, Water and medical supplies will be set up at the turnaround point near Asilomar Blvd.
That's it. That's the course. Not complicated, just B-E-A-Utiful!
A Helpful Bike Course Word
Here's a tip from seasoned Pacific Grove participant and Tri-California Ambassador Evan Borders:Remember how many laps you've completed on the bike course! It would be a shame to be disqualified because you came into Transitions before finishing your last lap. Also, slow down at the turn-around points. Cornering is difficult enough with our small road tires, so just keep it slow and steady, and look through your turn.
Stay at the Inn...Just Two Blocks from the Start Line
One of the most luxurious and comfortable Inns in Pacific Grove, The Seven Gables Inn, has a selection of rooms still available for the Triathlon weekend. And they are "at the doorstep" of Lovers Point - within steps of all event activities. All rooms have ocean views, private bathrooms, and pampering amenities. Special Triathlon services are an added bonus:
- Special dining options. A full hot breakfast or a Grab-and-Go breakfast for early-hour participants
- Special Bike handling, again with early participant options to access bikes as early at 5:30AM - no hassle storage
- Gear Maintenance Area - drying rack for wetsuits and rinse off area provided for all participants
Rated #1 by Trip Advisor as the best in Pacific Grove, why not try the Seven Gable Inn and pamper yourself with a touch of luxury. Enjoy the perfect location to access all Triathlon activities and events. Contact them at www.thesevengablesinn.com or phone (831) 372-4341.
Here's the shortest, sweetest schedule of events. The full schedule of events can always be found on the Tri-California website.
Friday, September 13
- Expo & Packet Pick Up | 12:00PM - 7:00PM
Saturday, September 14
- Expo | 7:00AM - 4:00PM
- Olympic Distance Triathlon | 7:30AM
- F1 Series Youth/Junior Elite Race | 11:45AM
- Elite Draft Legal Race | 12:00PM
Sunday, September 9
- Expo | 7:00AM - 12:00PM
- 5K & 10K Run Race | 7:30AM
- Sprint Distance Triathlon | 8:40AM
Digital Guide Coming Soon!
Keep your eyes out in our upcoming newsletters for the 2013 Triathlon at Pacific Grove Digital Athlete Guide coming soon!
The Triathlon at Pacific Grove is an official destination of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training program, so yes, there will be a slew of purple-dressed people out there on the course which we are excited to cheer to the Finish! Here are some tips from a few TNT coaches:
- Get into the water before your wave to get accustomed to the temperature (and get some water into your wetsuit). Once acclimated, your respiration rate will slow down, so breathing while swimming will be easier.
- Drink before you're thirsty, and eat before you're hungry!
- Visualize yourself at further points in your event. When swimming, visualize yourself getting out of the water.
The Next in the Line Up
Why Not Train for Another? Don’t stop training after the Triathlon at Pacific Grove . . . keep it going! Plan ahead and set your sites on the Scott Tinley’s Triathlon, October 4-6 in beautiful San Luis Obispo County.
Who wouldn’t want to race an event nestled in wine country and only a few miles drive from San Luis Obispo, Arroyo Grande, and Pismo Beach? Besides the beautiful scenery it’s truly a family affair with a race to suit every age and ability. Choose from:
- On-Road Long Course
- On-Road Olympic Course
- On-Road Sprint Course
- On-Road Youth Triathlon (ages 7-14)
- Off-Road Sprint Course
- Mountain Bike Hill Climbs
Use the code RACETINLEY13
to receive $25 off the entry fee for any of the triathlon courses (does not apply to Hill Climbs).